Alley Mill was built near Alley Spring which flows 81 million gallons a day into the Jacks Fork River. The first mill was built in 1868. A post office
was established, named after a prominent
local farming family, Alley. From that day
to this, the area has been known as Alley
Spring, Alley Mill, or just plain Alley. The
present building was constructed during 1893-1894 by George Washington McCaskill as a merchant mill.